Sunday, June 22, 2008

I love the weekend...

Yesterday was a day of running errands and returning things. I did it in a nice leisurely fashion and even managed to pop in on my friend Rebecca and join her at Scrap Chic to watch her give a demo on using a circle cutter. We had a nice time after going to dinner and watching Kingdom at her house. It was a good movie and I thought it was interesting the point they made at the end how both sides want to kill the other side. It seemed like they were trying to point out some similarities between two very different sides. Through most of the movie I just couldn't fathom living in a world where there is so much violence and death. I know there are areas in the US where you could get shot walking out your front door but I live in a very sheltered world in comparison.

Today was my painting day. I can't believe I've managed it two weekends in a row. My main goal was to try to find a focal point for the first canvas from Paulette Insall's class and the more I thought about it the more I wanted it to be a tree. I didn't feel confident in creating one on my own so I used a diecut for my template. I was also worried I wouldn't like it so opted for creating one and then adhering it onto the canvas if it seemed to work. As I thought about it I decided to live on the edge and use cardboard for the tree. I even went as far as cutting out leaves from the scraps of cardboard. I'm still trying to decide if I like it. I really wish I could paint a big beautiful tree myself. In looking at the tree I decided it really did need some words to go with it. It looked lonely. These are action words that just mean a lot to me. Trees are a symbol of life and of God to me and wanted the whole theme to be centered around that. I haven't decided if I will make any changes to the second canvas. It may have a life of it's own with it's current colors and patterns.



Posted by Picasa

9 comments:

Misti said...

That's beautiful, Laurel! And I love your new banner!

nancy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
nancy said...

Hey Laurel, I just noticed that you have left 3 wonderful comments on my blog. Thanks for taking the time and now that I have found you I will come back often for inspiration! I love all your backgrounds! Nancy

anita said...

hi laurel,
thank you so much for your comment and for showing your step-by-step-painting: it's like a rebirth of the several paintings ...

regards
anita

Rebecca said...

How wonderful! It turned out SO well!

Anonymous said...

OH MY! Laurel it is beautiful!! ALIVE with inspiration...color...and messages from your soul...

Zuzu's Blog said...

wow amazing background!!! Lvely piece..
so glad you stopped by my blog as now I have been led to yours.. I am off to look around it now :-)

Stephanie said...

Laurel,
I love your tree...is it going to hang in your house somewhere? Very good work!

Thanks for the comments recently on my blog. You are an encouragement to me!

I enjoyed yesterday, even if I was so tired and restless. It was great to laugh until we cried though!

namesconnie said...

Lovely tree. Thanks for sharing it. Sincerely, Connie and thanks for visiting my blog and your kind comment, too.