Saturday, January 19, 2008

Comfort Zones






I'm a a little behind on this but last weeks challenge on Inspire Me Thursday was to express your comfort zone. This year I'm concentrating on artistic endeavors so that is what I'm focusing on for this challenge. I have many comfort zones like staying in a job for a long time because I enjoy the people I work with and it's safe. The hard part comes when you don't know when its time to step out of that comfortable place and move on to stretch yourself more. Right now I am still able to stretch myself technically so I think it's good to stay. I will be stepping out of my comfort zone at work to take on a big challenge to examine some of our processes and to develop an automated process complete with approvals and workflow using software. It's a little scary but something I'm looking forward to.

So back to the artistic side, currently I create cards and gift albums with paper, embellishments and stamps. Well, and scrapbooking too. Oh, and photography. Above are some examples of cards that I've made for loved ones. You can check out my web album if you want to see more of them. This weeks challenge is about leaving your comfort zone so more about that later.

I have to add a thought about comfort zones. They serve a purpose for a while so we can gain a measure of self confidence but leaving those comfort zones is how we grow and improve ourselves. It is a scary thing to do but also exciting. It is also fun to watch friends and family step out of their comfort zones and try new things. Sometimes they don't work out but you learn valuable lessons and move on to the next endeavor.
Posted by Picasa

7 comments:

Rebecca said...

Wow - that is so true about comfort zones. Congratulations on branching out. I can't wait to hear all about it.

Tangled Stitch said...

This is a lovely comment about comfort zones. I think it's wonderful that people have comfort zones and I agree that it is good to try to go past them.

Your work is extraordinary too. Very beautiful.

Julia said...

Lauren the things you make are amazing !!. What a beautiful cards!

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous cards as usual Laurel. Have a great time this coming weekend cropping with the gals. I will be going on 2/2. Miss cropping with ya!

Miriam said...

Beautiful cards! I love that second one with the flower. I can't tell you how much I appreciate your comment, just based on the act of commenting alone. I often wonder why it is that hardly anyone ever seems to comment on blogger. Perhaps I'm doing something wrong. I mean, I love comments, even if people don't agree with me! It is the only way to learn...to get involved in discussion. So thank you very much.

Ella said...

Wonderful cards! I have also looked at your web album and you really have an amazing collection. What inspires me is that you often use color palettes that I would probably not come up with.

K said...

beautiful!