Thursday, December 07, 2006

Getting Up to Date

I've been a little distracted lately because I'm considering gastric bypass surgery. Each week I've been to different doctors for testing to see if everything is okay and if I'm a candidate. I'm in pretty good condition except for a little elevated blood pressure (probably from all the coffee), low iron and found out I'm diabetic.

With the surgery I'm torn between doing something that drastic to my body and needing something that drastic to not spend the rest of my life morbidly obese. I need to lose about half of what I am today. I'm a firm believer in avoiding surgery except as a last resort and to try everything else first. I could keep trying different programs for weight loss but in my heart I know the results will continue to be the same. I will lose 30-40 pounds and then lose the momentum.

Through the process I've asked God to help me with the decision and each time I start to think of aborting the process someone who's been through it all comes along to offer encouragement. I'm starting to feel that for me this is what is necessary to attain a healthy lifestyle. I so admire those who have found the light switch in their heads and have been able to get the weight off and to keep it off but I also find no shame in needing surgery to get on that path.

So that, in a nutshell, is what has been going on for a month now. In the next few weeks I will find out if my insurance will pay for it and then I have to make my final decision.

2 comments:

Kimberly said...

WOW, Laurel! Sorry to hear about the Diabetes. It is a daily struggle! As for the surgery...keep us posted. I would love to do it...but the lose skin and such scare me as I know I would not have cosmetic surgery. GOOD LUCK and I am thinking of you.

Anonymous said...

my dear sweet laurel, the lord will guide you and i will be here for you.